Red Barn Cafe-

Life is hectic - Savor every Bite!








Saturday, September 14, 2013

Football is Back! Hot Sausage and Peppers/Onions, Turkey Meatballs and Sausage in Tomato Sauce

Football is back Baby! And I couldn't be happier! What's on your menu? Today I made hot sausage with peppers and onions (the best I ever made, and I have a secret way to make it), Turkey meatballs and sweet sausage.

I'll share..

I bought the ring of sweet sausage, did not cut It up. Put in a roasting pan (I have the old fashioned black with white speckles and a high side). Roast at 375 degrees until cooked, about 30-4o minutes, turning halfway thru. Let rest, then cut into pieces. I dropped mine into a pot of sauce to wait for the meatballs.

The turkey meatballs-

2 1bs ground white turkey
2 eggs, beaten
Process the next ingredients in a mini processor or food processor-

1 cup bread crumbs (I use a long Italian roll or piece of Italian bread- 6")
handful fresh parsley and basil
2 cloves garlic

Pulse until fine crumbs
Mix turkey, bread crumbs, eggs and
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cracked black pepper
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese

4 cups tomato sauce, your own or jarred (I like Mia Cucina-Jersey Fresh sauce, it's the best!)

Roll into balls

I cooked the meatballs in the oven in the sausage grease, turning halfway through when they are brown both sides they are done- about 30 min. Put into sauce with the sausage.

Sausage and peppers-

1 1lb hot sausage links
2 red Cubanelle (or Bell) peppers
2 large onions, sliced
1 tbsp. olive oil

Cook sausage in oven in a roasting pan, 400 degrees, turn after 20 min, cook additional 10-12 min until browned on bother sides.

Heat olive oil in skillet and add onions, saute on low/medium for 7 min until turning brown, add garlic for another 2 min. In 400 degree oven put peppers on a sheet pan and roast for 40 min, turning halfway, they should turn black on the sides. Take out and let rest until cool, peel skins and remove seeds. Slice into strips. Add peppers to onions and add sausage, mix to combine. Serve on a hoagie roll.

No comments: