Red Barn Cafe-

Life is hectic - Savor every Bite!








Monday, January 24, 2011

Cowboy Spaghetti Topper

In our twentysomething days my husband and I frequented a place called The Spaghetti House. What a concept- ten kinds of sauce offered over ten kinds of pasta (or something like that). The sauces included Cowboy Sauce (artichokes, black and green olives and salami), Fruits de Mer, (shrimp, calamari and crab), Napolitan, (parmesean and romano), Aioli, and so on.
I don't know why they called my favorite sauce Cowboy, all I know is it was good and I have been thinking about that place lately. This is my tribute to their cowboy sauce, minus the salami, which I didn't have tonight.

Oh, and I decided to top off the pasta in sauce and not mix it in. That way everyone could take their pasta plain or with the topping.


Cowboy Pasta Topper
ingredients
1 jar spaghetti sauce
1 1lb dry pasta, I used the shape pictures, similar to cavatelli
1 red onion, chopped
1 jar artichokes, drained and chopped
1/1 cup black Italian olives, sliced
1/2 cup large green olives, sliced
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 cup chichi beans (chickpeas) drained
generous amount of grated parmesean cheese (I use the large shreds)

Boil pasta water, add generous amount of salt and cook according to directions for al dente pasta. Warm sauce in low. Then, saute the red onion, chichi beans, olives in the olive oil for 5 min. Drain pasta and top with sauce. Pour topping over and top with the shredded parmesean.



No comments: